How many black player are in the NHL? According to an article by USA Today, 97% of the NHL is white, while the other 3% is made of different ethnicities. Of the 3% of the remaining ethnicities, twenty-six are black. Twenty of the twenty-six black hockey players are from Canada while six are African American.
Who is the most famous black hockey player? Grant Fuhr
Grant Fuhr has been described as the best black hockey player. He has always been described by Wayne Gretzky as the greatest goaltender ever. He was the first black player to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. He serves as a role model to young hockey players of any color.
Who are the current black NHL players?
- Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury, Ontario Hockey League.
- Isaiah Saville, G, Tri-City, United States Hockey League.
- Marshall Warren, D, USA Hockey National Team Development Program.
- Chayla Edwards, D, Pittsburgh Penguins Elite Under-19 Team, Shady Side Academy.
How many black players have won the Stanley Cup? Five of them belong to black players: goaltenders Grant Fuhr and Eldon “Pokey” Reddick from the Edmonton Oilers’ five championships in the 1980s and 90s; goalie Ray Emery and defensemen Johnny Oduya and Dustin Byfuglien from the Chicago Blackhawks’ Cup-winning teams in 2013 and 2015.